Top tips for your arrival at QMUL Halls
We would like to wish you a very warm welcome to QMUL halls, your home away from home! This page provides you with useful information that will help you find your feet here at QMUL in your first couple of weeks!
You may also want to read a copy of our Welcome Letter, a hard copy of which you will also receive upon arrival. You can also download the welcome letter below:
- Welcome Letter September 18 - Mile End [PDF 78KB]
- Welcome Letter September 18 - Dawson and Floyer [PDF 113KB]
Click on the headings below to expand for more detail:
1. Reception in France House is open 24 hours
2. Registering with a Doctor
To ensure you have access to health care whilst you are studying - you must register with the Student Health Service (SHS) within the first week. More information about the SHS and how you can register there is available at: www.studenthealth.qmul.ac.uk.
If you are a resident in Dawson Hall at Charterhouse Square you can use the NHS Choices website to find medical centres near to Dawson Hall. The postcode for Dawson Hall is EC1M 6BQ.
** MENINGITIS - IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ **
The Department of Health has issued advice to students for all new university entrants up to the age of 25 to be vaccinated with the Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine before the beginning of the new academic year. Even if you have already had the MenC vaccine, you should have the MenACWY vaccine. Please, get the MenACWY vaccination before you come to QMUL but if you miss out please make sure you get vaccinated as soon as you arrive in the UK.
More information is available here.
3. Correct Queen Mary Halls Addresses
Your full postal address is included on your Licence Agreement. Post will be delivered directly to your post box allocated to your flat. If a parcel is too large for the post box, the delivery person will press your doorbell and if you do not respond, they will leave you a card with instructions on how to collect your parcel.
For security reasons, Reception is unable to accept any post or parcels on behalf of any resident.
4. Fire Safety Guidance
5. Personal Safety Tips
We are lucky to be in the centre of such a vibrant city and we are proud of our low crime statistics. Please adhere to the following to ensure you keep everyone safe:
- Keep your keys with you at all times and NEVER give them to a third party
- Lock your door when you leave, even if it’s just for a few minutes - we want to ensure that all your possessions are safe
- Close all windows when you leave your room
- Don’t let people who you don’t know into any building – if they live there they will have their own entry card
- Don’t keep large amounts of cash and/or valuables in your room. Cash should be in the bank. If you need any advice contact Security Service directly.
London is a busy and exciting city - however you need to take some simple steps to ensure you remain safe. For more tips on personal safety read the Personal Safety Guide [PDF 346KB].
6. Are your personal belongings covered?
In support of student well-being at Queen Mary, we have teamed up with 'Endsleigh Insurance' to provide basic insurance cover for inside your accommodation. For more information and to find out what is covered, please visit our Insurance cover in halls page.
It is also possible to extend your cover for those items which may not be covered as standard. Please note that you will need to take out extra cover to ensure laptops and mobile phones are protected. More information is also available on the Endseligh website.
7. Feeling hungry?
Why not head over to one of our on campus Catering outlets? At Mile End you will find Mucci's and The Curve, and at Whitechapel you will find Nucleus.
- Mucci's is a group study space located opposite the library, offering tea, coffee and snacks while you put learning into action.
- The Curve is our biggest outlet serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with the menu changing on a weekly basis. You will also find the Cafe Bar situated in The Curve which serves 'Starbucks' coffee and snacks. (Currently closed for refurbishment)
- Nucleus is located on the Whitechapel campus and serves panninis and sandwiches, as well as hot beverages and snacks.
For more information and opening times for each outlet please visit: www.catering.qmul.ac.uk.
Save up to 15% with Prepaid Meal Packages!
If you are interested in our 'pre-pay' meal package scheme (for use in The Curve) then you can still purchase your meal vouchers in the Curve outlet or from the online store. For more information, terms and conditions or to buy your vouchers today, please visit: www.catering.qmul.ac.uk/mealvouchers. (Available from September)
8. Set up a bank account
There is a branch of Santander located on campus in France House at Mile End.
Further information on UK banking is available from the Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service at www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/international/money/banking-uk
9. Local stores/supermarket
10. Online shop - bedding and kitchen equipment packs
The online shop is now open selling bedding packs and kitchen packs that can be ordered in advance and collected from Reception at France House upon arrival. The online shop can be accessed by the link below:
11. Welcome events on campus
There are several welcome events taking place on campus during the first week of your arrival. More details can be found on page 2 of your Welcome Letter. You can also download a copy here: